What is new about Web 2.0?
From E-Consultation Guide
1.0 Worldwide web 1st generation
- 1 -> many
- One person writes the content.
- Many people read the pages.
- Need to write in HTML + graphics
1.5 Content management systems (CMS)
- Small teams -> many readers
- Each writer works on a different page
- Designers and programmers work separately on overall system, not each page.
- Get easier for writers to use, but still need training.
- Examples: DirectGov, Green Party in NI
- many -> many
- many people write or upload content
- many others read and sometimes comment
- Much easier to write
- Better usability, no training needed (at most watch a 5-min. video)
- Can set up an account with a service provider such as blogspot or Facebook, or install easy-to-use software like WordPress.
- Comments build conversations
- Not just a quick information fix: interactive
- Not just simple instant transactions: ongoing relationships